Search Site

Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis


Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis? Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) is an inherited medical condition characterized by multiple noncancerous polyps which form in the large intestine (colon) and rectum. These growths can begin in the teenage years, but may not cause any obvious signs or symptoms. Unless the colon is removed, these polyps will become cancerous. The average age in which someone with FAP develops malignant growths is 39.

Colon cancer (also called colorectal cancer) is the third most common form of cancer in both men and women in the U.S.; familial andenomatous polyposis accounts for approximately 1 of all reported cases of colon cancer. Some signs are: bleeding from the rectum, anemia, unintended weight loss, change in bowel habits, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

While the Social Security Administration does not list FAP specifically as a disabling condition, it does list intestine and colorectal cancer as a condition which can be disabling when the symptoms interferes with the person’s ability to engage in sustained work activity. Listing 13.00 in the Code of Federal Regulations lays out in specifics the impairments which a sufferer has to have in order to qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits for this condition; however, if you do not “meet or equal” this listing, you may still be entitled to disability benefits if your condition, in conjunction with any other physical or mental impairment, prevents you from returning to work you have done in the past and other substantial work you might be qualified to perform given your age, education and acquired work skills.

If you or a loved one lives in Alabama or Tennessee, you are suffering from the effects of FAP and you believe you are disabled as the result and are entitled to Social Security Disability or SSI benefits, you do not have to take on the Social Security Administration alone. Please feel free to talk with one of the experienced Alabama Disability Attorneys at Powell and Denny today.

Powell and Denny: We Work When You Can’t

Offices in Huntsville, Alabama and Birmingham, AL

Powell and Denny have been selected as one of the Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report for each of the last 5 years, have been selected as one of Birmingham’s Top Lawyers by B-Metro Magazine for the last 3 years, have been selected by The National Advocates as one of the Top 20 Workers’ Compensation Firms (plaintiffs) and Powell and Denny, P.C.-has been selected as one of the “Best of the Best” law firms by The American Registry.

Alabama Disability Attorneys
Birmingham Social Security Disability Attorneys
Huntsville Social Security Disability Attorneys

Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis


Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Birmingham Office
    1320 Alford Avenue
    Suite 201
    Birmingham, Alabama 35226
    Phone: 205-978-2051
    Fax: 205-978-2054
  • Huntsville Office
    600 Boulevard South
    SW Suite 104
    Huntsville, Alabama 35802
    Phone: 256-705-3510
    Fax: 256-705-3513

We Wrote the Book

My Alabama Disability Claim
by William Powell & Gregory Denny
Click Here to Get Your Free Copy