A car accident occurs in seconds and can leave you dazed, injured and wondering what to do. It is important to know the steps to take after an accident. With offices in Birmingham and Huntsville, Alabama, we at Powell & Denny, P.C. have experience handling all types of vehicle accident cases. We recommend that people do the following:
- Call the police. Even if the accident seems minor, law enforcement should be called. You cannot trust that the other driver is going to handle themselves in a civilized manner, or provide you with correct information. By involving the police, you can ensure that the scene is controlled, the information is as correct as possible and that a report is filed. Police reports can support any claims or lawsuits we file. The police can also call emergency medical services if needed.
- Gather evidence. If you are not in need of emergency medical attention, it is important to gather all evidence at the scene of the accident. Take pictures, not only of the damages to your car, but also the surrounding area, such as the intersection and the position of the vehicles. All of this can be excellent supporting evidence for your claim. Also, if any witnesses are present, it is a good idea to get statements from them, or minimally their information so they can be contacted in the future.
- Get medical attention. It is absolutely essential that if you are injured, you seek medical attention. Even if the accident was minor, you could have sustained serious injuries. A doctor can evaluate you and determine the physical impact that the accident has had on you. These medical records can then be introduced as evidence when seeking compensation from the negligent party and his or her insurance company.
- Contact a lawyer. Many personal injury law firms, like ours, offer a free consultation. This means that you can talk through your car accident situation and questions with us without cost or obligation. We can determine the likelihood of obtaining a recovery in your case and give you a straightforward assessment of the situation.
- If we are able to handle your case, the sooner we become involved, the better. Our firm can get right to work gathering additional evidence and preparing the case to present to the insurance companies. If needed, we can move forward with a lawsuit and take the case to court.
Learn More from Our Trusted Accident and Injury Attorneys
Get more information about what to do after a car accident from our skilled lawyers and staff at Powell & Denny. Call 800-227-0882 or send us an email for a free consultation.