Powell & Denny, P.C.
We Work When You Can’t
Practice Areas

Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis

Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis

Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis: Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) is an inherited medical condition characterized by multiple noncancerous polyps which form in the large intestine (colon) and rectum. These growths can begin in the teenage years, but may not cause any obvious signs or symptoms. Unless the colon is removed, these polyps will become cancerous. The average age in which someone with FAP develops malignant growths is 39.

Colon cancer (also called colorectal cancer) is the third most common form of cancer in both men and women in the U.S.; familial andenomatous polyposis accounts for approximately 1 of all reported cases of colon cancer. Some signs are: bleeding from the rectum, anemia, unintended weight loss, change in bowel habits, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

While the Social Security Administration does not list FAP specifically as a disabling condition, it does list intestine and colorectal cancer as a condition which can be disabling when the symptoms interferes with the person's ability to engage in sustained work activity. Listing 13.00 in the Code of Federal Regulations lays out in specifics the impairments which a sufferer has to have in order to qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits for this condition; however, if you do not "meet or equal" this listing, you may still be entitled to disability benefits if your condition, in conjunction with any other physical or mental impairment, prevents you from returning to work you have done in the past and other substantial work you might be qualified to perform given your age, education and acquired work skills.

If you or a loved one lives in Alabama or Tennessee, you are suffering from the effects of FAP and you believe you are disabled as the result and are entitled to Social Security Disability or SSI benefits, you do not have to take on the Social Security Administration alone. Please feel free to TALK WITH one of the experienced Alabama Disability Attorneys at Powell and Denny today.

Powell and Denny: We Work When You Can't

Offices in Huntsville, Alabama and Birmingham, AL

Can I get disability benefits for Familial adenomatous polyposis

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Wrote the Book

My Alabama
Disability Claim by William Powell & Gregory Denny

Get Your Free Copy

Schedule a Confidential Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Birmingham Office 1320 Alford Avenue Suite 201 Birmingham, AL 35226-3159 Toll Free: 800-227-0882 Phone: 205-978-2051 Fax: 205-978-2054 Map & Directions

Birmingham Office

Huntsville Office 600 Boulevard South SW Suite 104 Huntsville, AL 35802 Toll Free: 800-227-0882 Phone: 256-705-3510 Fax: 205-978-2054 Map & Directions

Huntsville Office